About Me

My name is Suzanne Parker-Camarena. I am from Utah and currently reside in Arizona. I am a wife to my husband and mother to our four children and “mother-lady” to my husband’s two daughters from his first marriage. I am also owned by three cats of the feline persuasion. I am a student at Grand Canyon University pursuing a Bachelor of Arts Degree with an emphasis on Professional Writing. My current course of study is Multicultural Literature. Multicultural literature is a genre of writing that is inclusive of all cultures in the world, whether they be national, religious, or language, etc. To considered global literature, the writings, feelings, and meanings are able to be related across cultural differences to draw the reader into the experience. An example of Multicultural Literature is taken from “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid:

"...this is how you sweep a corner; this is how you sweep a whole house; this is how you sweep a yard; this is how you smile to someone you don't like too much; this is how you smile to someone you don't like at all; this is how you smile to someone you like completely..."

It reminded me of how my husband's very traditional Mexican mother used to speak to her older grandchildren when they would visit her. Even as the sentence never ends in Kincaid's work, Grandma would go on and on, at times, barely seeming to take a breath between admonishments.

Multicultural Literature also blurs national boundaries by creating an avenue for all people to learn of different cultures other than their own and finding a way to possibly relate or understand more of each other. Kincaid was able to accomplish this as well because I could relate to her narrative and understand the never-ending admonitions she was listening to from who I believe to be the elder women in her life. After being reminded repeatedly to not behave like a slut, the girl questions at the very end if the baker will actually let her squeeze the loaf of bread and the response she receives made me laugh out loud because I remember hearing the same warnings and conclusions. This was the response: "...you mean to say after all you are really going to be the kind of woman who the baker won't let near the bread?"

20th century literature related so well the many struggles we all faced for cultural identity and the ability to understand others and more of ourselves. It covers topics of religious struggle, female rights, cultural bias, extermination, and thankfully, rebirth, strength, and determination to not just survive, but thrive. The examples listed in my blog entries below are just a fraction of the global literature available to immerse oneself in. My opinions are my own and I hope in no way dissuade the reader from forming their own. It is a journey that is well worth the effort.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Consequence & Responsibility



This week's reading was interesting, but not a genre I particularly enjoy.  The excerpt I chose from Garcia-Marquez's "Death Constant Beyond Love" was the following:
"What are you doing here?"
"My father sent me," she said.
The senator understood, He scrutinized the sleeping guards, then he scrutinized Laura Farina, 
whose unusual beauty was even more demanding than his pain, and he resolved then that death
 had made his decision for him.”
 In this piece, the author personifies Laura Farina's "beauty" because it "demanded" and also "death" by indicating it had made his decision for him -- both had acted in a humanistic manner giving them lives of their own
.
From Paz's work, "Central Park", I chose the following example:

"There are no entrances but everyone,
in the middle of a phrase dangling from the telephone,
from the top of the fountain of silence or laughter,
from the glass cage of the eye that watches us,
everyone, all of us are falling in the mirror.
Don't cross Central Park at night." 

This passage, for whatever reason, spoke to me. The imagery was very real. I could envision death as a mirrored building displaying us in various stages of living with God (the glass eye), and eventually we all succumb to the mirror (death). The ringing, repeated phrase of "Don't cross Central Park at night" as a warning to be care and not to take risks that are stupid or crazy.
Contrasting the two, I really did not care for Garcia-Marquez's work in this instance, although his imagery and message were potent. Paz's was more imaginative and mystical in my opinion.

The selection of reading for this question was very interesting.  "And of Clay We Are Created", by Isabel Allende was both poignant and frustrating. As a reader, I wanted to know Azucena was successfully rescued by Rolf Carle, but in a tragic twist of fate, it was she who rescued Rolf from the prison he himself had become mired in. I was fascinated by the way Allende used the imagery of the cables, cameras, tape, staff, supplies, auxiliary motors to run the equipment, yet no one had answered the call for a pump that could have saved the young girl's life. It brought to my mind the images of people with their cell phones recording events, but never stopping to assist the victim or halting the perpetrator. We have all become spectators at the mercy of our technology. Allende painted a very vivid picture while highlighting the tragedy. Where was the true courage?
In "The Garden of the Forking Paths", Borges tells of a Chinese spy during World War I, Yu Tsun, as he recounts the statement he has made before he is put to death. This short story uses the imagery of forked paths and correlates them to making choices. Even though the story was confusing for me, at times, I got the impression that is how the author wanted it perceived--as dizzying as the labyrinth discussed in the story when one is asking which way to go.

TEACHERS:
Review these ideas for insight into this theme from Richard Curwin.

APPLY:
Choose one or two activities to promote effective decision making and understanding.

WATCH & DISCUSS:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Motivation

What motivates you? Do we all share the same motivation? There is motivation to do good things and vice versa. At times it seems as...